Video Tutorial Series to cover the Bancor ecosystem

TL;DR:
-I want to start a tutorial series about Bancor (onscreen and or with animationparts)
-I want to discuss the most needed topics to cover about bancor
-I want to discuss what makes a good onscreen tutorial

Hi my name is Ralf,

I want to start a tutorial series about the bancor ecosystem.
Yesterday I had a short conversation with mark richardson on telegram.
He suggested me to put all my thoughts into this forum.
With this discussion I want to encourage you to think about possible topics and actions to
cover with some easy screen capturing and or with some small animations. I am an “old” bancor user - I just checked etherscan and I was looking on an old relay token transaction :slight_smile: .
I’m totally excited about the bancor version we have now. All these developments and all these
features are extremely well thought and put together so nicely and so beautiful.

The defi Power User is able to teach him/herself how to use the platform and what kind of advantages bancor provides.
But for new user coming from their first buy-in to crypto - it can be a little bit too complicated.
For this reason and for many others I want to create a tutorial series covering the most basics parts up to some advanced stuff like the vortex and IL explanation and how bancor is solving these problem.

I am living and working remotely for almost 3 years. Remote living and working taught me some lessons when it comes to organisation and creation/working efficiently.
During the last 2 years I was able to develop some video/animation skills. I m a passionate self-learner and thinker. In my non remote life I am a carpenter. I like to make things and like to help people.
Right now I am creation a tutorial series about a platform where you can check short term earthquake probabilities. By doing this I was able to create for myself a workflow to create tutorials
with animationparts / voiceovers/ screencast.

As a part of my ongoing journey “becoming” a motion/video creator I like to get my “hands dirty”. I want to build a tutorial series about bancor in my freetime.

For this I would like to create:

• adobe library with color pallets and vector graphics (like a preset gallery)
    (–> this is extremely helpful to a consistent look of the series and to work with linked up projects
    within the adobe cloud)

• a trello board (or any other canban-style app) to collect topics to cover in a tutorial
    or something similar (maybe here?)

• “some-kind” of roadmap “funnel” to show the connections between the tutorials to make sure
    to get a new user from zero to hero in an “elegant way” :slight_smile:

• a place to organize scripts (for subtitles and translations)

Is there a place where I can easily find or pull the current CD-manual?
Does anything listed above already exist?

I would like to discuss:

1. what makes a good onscreen tutorial (duration/information/…)
  2. topics that have a huge demand for a tutorial

Sorry for the long topic I wasn’t expecting this. (especially on a Sunday).
I am highly motivated to take the next steps and I am happy to hear your thoughts and topics.
Since I m doing this in my freetime I would be super happy to have some extra brainpower.

4 Likes

I am not too knowledgable on this but I have some good examples. The Learn campaings on CM and Coinbase are dope. I think the graph has clean graphics and narration could build something similar : The Graph, What is The Graph? | CoinMarketCap

2 Likes

I also think that the short videos on coinbase earn for the different projects are a good way for us to introduce new users to Bancor. If we want to present more in depth videos then I highly recommend looking at what finematics has on their youtube channel. A perfect example is their Bancor v2 explainer (now outdated) but this was what introduced me to Bancor and converted me over.

2 Likes

CB and CMS videos are really well designed and a great way to show the product
i would considers them as commercials

the finematics videos are truely a very good example of in depth explanations.
with the constant moving along a “timeline” you always have the feeling of taking the next step in understanding the topic or problem.

I think that both styles are targeting intermediate/advanced crypto user (which they are doing extremely well)
But they are not targeting the basic and fresh crypto user.

Compared to a Banana:

• The CMS/CB are advertising the banana. The look and branding.

• The finematic explainer are giving me all the information of how the banana grows, where the color come from and so on.

But both are not showing how to eat the banana. How to use the actual product.

Maybe its better to differentiate the videos in categories like:

Explainer (finematics)
Advertiser (CB/CMS)
How To/ Guides (onscreen capturing) (like miro onscreen tutorial)`

and then decide where to start first.

2 Likes

I agree with your assessment about the different types of video categories. If you are looking to create guides, here are some topics that I think should be covered:

1. Performing a swap
    a. explain slippage and price impact
  2. Limit orders
    a. explain rate and expiry time
  3. How to stake
    a. explain the concept of whitelisted pools, liquidity mining rewards, space available, rewards multiplier, IL insurance, fees vs. rewards, restaking your rewards, tracking your positions, removing your liquidity
  4. How to vote
    a. explain what is vBNT, how to stake, how to vote, how to submit proposals.
  5. How to create a pool
    a. process for getting pools whitelisted, co-investment from the protocol, and LM rewards from the community.
  6. How to onboard via the fiat gateway
    a. Step by step guide on how to do so
  7. Leveraging via the vortex
    a. What risks are involved, how to swap vBNT to another TKN, etc…

I think this covers the major functionalities of our DEX but there might be some that I missed. Hopefully others can chime in. I think a small introduction video should be included as an opener to the video series.

2 Likes

Yes a introduction to the platform is definitely a good idea.

I would like to add the how to connect with your wallet (maybe metamask / wallet connect/ and one hardware wallet) .

There are some videos on the bancor youtube channel. Does somebody know where they got the logo and colors? Or is it all handpicked. I could redraw the logo in AIllustrator but having one already as an vector file would be awesome.

I think for the duration we should consider about 5 min - max 8 min (depending of the topic)

1 Like

Not sure, looks like they worked with:

maybe someone from the team can help with any marketing assets?

2 Likes

yes this and mbr already sent me the rest of the colorpalet and the vector files
so I am putting the library together.

I will create a whiteboard and kanban board to sketch some topics out.
If I have more questions I will put them here.
So far the FAQs and Resources are awesome sources to pull from.

thanks for your input

2 Likes

Would it make sense to put the vector files and color palettes in a github repo? Similar to some of the existing assets we have here (GitHub - bancorprotocol/assets)?

I think for the duration we should consider about 5 min - max 8 min (depending of the topic)

I think that’s a good length to aim for and keeping to 10 minutes or less is probably ideal.

2 Likes

hi sorry for being off for a while.

I decided to split the videos in 2 parts:
first part is the “quick and easy” way. that means performing a task (like a swap) without
changing the default settings - to show the viewer how easy and fast it can be.
After that I want to go over again and explain all the settings you can change and what they will do.
Like basic to advanced in one tutorial.

I want to illustrate and explain the settings and their meaning like slippage / LP / AMM with the bancor platform. With that we can aim for some additional keywords for Youtube.
(search slippage - it should be not so difficult to get on the first page - there is no easy explanation)

Im planning the How to Swap Video and I need some help with the following questions:

• How can I easily describe slippage without getting to much into details what
    AMMs and Liquidity are? Does some real life example exist?

• the same I want to do with price impact.

I want to avoid using (difficult) graphs and tables and try to explain it only with basic shapes.

2 Likes

I am really excited for these.

• How can I easily describe slippage without getting to much into details what
    AMMs and Liquidity are? Does some real life example exist?

One way to think about it is a continuous auction. For example, imagine the fish markets on a busy day. If the fisherman has 100 fish, and a customer buys 1 fish, he might get a really good price. But then the next customer buys 2 fish, and the fisherman realizes he can charge a higher price because there is rising interest. As customers buy more fish, the fisherman keeps increasing the price to try and get the best possible returns. By the time he gets to his last fish, if there is enough interest, he might be charging 100× what the first customer paid.

Another good example is real estate. As the population grows, competition for housing increases. Every time someone buys a house, the act of buying it increases its price.

Unfortunately, there are no perfect real-world examples, as ‘slippage’ in the way we are discussing it here is a consequence of the constant product bonding curve.

• the same I want to do with price impact.

Slippage and price impact can be one and the same. Slippage on one pool is more like paying the spread on an order book; however, slippage on all the pools together is price discovery.

If we return to the fishmarket example - imagine that customers are crowding the first stall to open, and so the price of fish is skyrocketing. But, after an hour the other fishermen start to open their stalls and the customers start to spread out and buy cheaper fish from elsewhere in the market. This will cause the price of fish for the other fisherman to increase, but the price to start crashing for the first fisherman. More importantly, the customers who bought the expensive fish early in the day have suffered from a type of price slippage, by pushing trades through a venue with relatively small fish liquidity compared to the overall market.

If you like, I would be happy to discuss these ideas and develop better ones with you. You already have me on TG - feel free to reach out at your convenience. Maybe we can set up a call.

3 Likes

Mark posted an excellent explanation. We probably should note in the video that in terms of swapping on Bancor and other DEXes that slippage tolerance are there because your TX doesn’t execute instantly and might take a few minutes (depending on network congestion, gas fees that you set, etc…). Essentially, if the amount that the price has moved in the trading pair from when you executed your transaction and when it actually executes is not within your slippage tolerance percentage, then your transaction won’t go through to protect you.

3 Likes

thank you for the reply and the explanation and for the added background why it is necessary to have slippage when you are swapping at a dex. I will try to take this as an inspiration and start to sketch something out. Then I would like to discuss these ideas. thank you for the offer.

1 Like