Proposal to Whitelist veCRV-DAO yVault (YVECRV-DAO)

Proposal to Whitelist veCRV-DAO yVault (YVECRV-DAO)

Contract Address:
0xc5bddf9843308380375a611c18b50fb9341f502a

TL;DR

Bancor affords Yearn Ecosystem participants and DeFi users, a unique opportunity to earn secondary yield on YVECRV-DAO via single-sided exposure. Further, participants will be protected against impermanent loss (IL).

Discussion:

Yearn Finance is a suite of products in Decentralized Finance (DeFi) that provides lending aggregation, yield generation, and insurance on the Ethereum blockchain. The protocol is maintained by various independent developers and is governed by YFI holders.

Yearn Finance Vaults

Capital pools that automatically generate yield based on opportunities present in the market. Vaults benefit users by socializing gas costs, automating the yield generation and rebalancing process, and automatically shifting capital as opportunities arise. End users also do not need to have a proficient knowledge of the underlying protocols involved or DeFi, thus the Vaults represent a passive-investing strategy.

CRV DAO Token

The main purposes of the Curve DAO token are to incentivize liquidity providers on the Curve Finance platform as well as getting as many users involved as possible in the governance of the protocol. Currently CRV has three main uses: voting, staking and boosting. Those three things will require you to vote lock your CRV and acquire veCRV. CRV can now be staked (locked) to receive trading fees from the Curve protocol. A community-lead proposal introduced a 50% admin fee on all trading fees. Those fees are collected and used to buy 3CRV, the LP token for the TriPool, which are then distributed to veCRV holders.

veCRV-DAO yVault

The veCRV-DAO yVault is a vault that accepts CRV in exchange for perpetual claim on Curve DAO admin fees across all Yearn products. The vault may be interacted with on yearn.finance or https://crv.ape.tax/. At the time of writing, participants can exchange CRV for yveCRV and earn 1.42X the yield than if they were to solo stake CRV on Curve Finance platform. This returns about 71.39% APY. However, participants can stack their yield by providing liquidity to the WETH/yveCRV-DAO on SushiSwap. Finally, they can stake their Sushi WETH/yveCRV-DAO LP tokens on Pickle Finance. While this may be lucrative, users could experience IL potentially costing hundreds, if not thousands.

Bancor Single-Sided Exposure and Impermanent Loss Protection

Most first generation AMMs require LPs to contribute equal or determinate parts of each asset represented in the pool. This is both an inconvenience and a liability for many LPs who may hold only one of the assets and/or are only interested in exposure to that single asset. Bancor v2.1 breaks this paradigm, allowing LPs to contribute and maintain 100% exposure in a single token. LPs can provide liquidity to a pool with single-sided exposure, either in an ERC20 token (“TKN”) or in BNT.

Bancor’s IL Insurance accrues over time, by 1% each day, until 100% protection is achieved after 100 days in the pool. There is a 30-day cliff, which means that if a liquidity provider decides to withdraw their position before 30 days passes, they’d incur the same IL loss experienced in a normal, unprotected AMM. If an LP withdraws any time after 100 days, they receive 100% compensation for any loss that occurred in the first 100 days, or anytime thereafter.

Bancor will afford an opportunity to DeFi users to participate in familiar, high-yield DeFi protocols in Curve Finance and Yearn Finance, while maintaining 100% exposure in a single yield-bearing token while maintaining protection from IL.

1 Like

Audits:

Yearn Audits: GitHub - yearn/yearn-audits: Collection of published audits

Curve Audits: Curve.fi

Market and Trading Data:

• veCRV price at the time of writing $2.03
  • All Time High: $2.67
  • All Time Low: $1.66
  • Price 90 days ago: N/A
  • Circulating supply: 7,522,725
  • Maximum supply: 3,303,030,299 (maximum CRV supply)
  • Market capitalization: $15,297,620
  • Today’s volume: $630,950
  • veCRV-DAO yVault is listed only on Sushi
  • The 24-hour spot volumes range from $1.86 to $2.00

Source: veCRV-DAO yVault price, YVE-CRVDAO price index, chart, and info | CoinGecko

I think that veCRV-DAO yVault isn’t really bringing anything except risk to the ecosystem. here’s my reasoning.

1. the liquidity to volume ratio is abysmal. (less than 5% of the liquidity translates into volume on sushi as of writing this.)
  2. Sushi rewards are at 150% semi-stably so theres no competing there should we choose to co-invest/LM.
  3. Yearn vaults carry certain exploit risk.

That being said I think we could shift this proposal to just a CRV TKN pool.

Compared to veCRV-DAO yVault the CRV token is much more attractive. as of writing this the sushi rewards are only at 35% with about 1/4 of the liquidity being traded in volume, and on top of this we’d be ridding ourselves of the extra liability that come with holding a yield generating token.

If we wanna move this thread to just CRV I can make the proposal and also I’d be good with afterwards pushing a co-invest and LM rewards and i think it would be easily one of the best tokens from an asset utilization pov.
also the curve dao token itself has great deflationary properties built into it and with most of their profit coming from stables its a very safe bet. not to mention their community is strong and theres a lot of room for collaboration with them since we do have a problem with impermanent loss on stables.

2 Likes

I gave this proposal a second thought after I drafted and submitted it. I agree with your aforementioned concerns, especially exploit risks. I believe integration with familiar ecosystems has proven well for Bancor. I’ll take you up on your offer for proposing to whitelist CRV and further pushing a co-invest and LM rewards. Thank you for your feedback @tenzent.

1 Like

agree i will draft something formal later today

1 Like

The main thing is, that you can draw the crv reward as 3Crv from veCRV-DAO yearn pool.

If you send the token to another address, this address will get the reward.

So if you send the token to a pool, the pool itself is the owner, and has to claim the reward, or it will be stuck forever.

So only if the revenue from being LP is bigger than the missing reward, this makes sens. Best would have a special pool, which then claims the reward and distributes it somehow.

I’m not 100% sure if this is like I described.

The yearn ecosystem has 84% APY right now on the veCRV-DAO-ETH Pool. This is hard to beat!