What DAO Membership Means

Fellow Bancorians,
We currently have discussions around vote delegation and proposals; in the course of such discussions, the following was said:

This calls into question what it means to be a “DAO member”. The post further says:

This would seem to suggest that a voting weight of 25,000 vBNT constitutes “DAO membership”. This is all fine and well; but what does that actually mean? Can I, for example, list it on my homepage as an accomplishment/former employment?

What responsibilities/obligations does such membership incur, and what privileges–aside from personally submitting proposals–does it grant? Can I rent an office in the name of the DAO and hire employees? This couldn’t make them members of the DAO, but rather associates of it; and how do we ensure that those people are paid, if we find that it falls under our collective responsibility (rather than that of the individual DAO member making such employments) to do so?

Are there answers to these questions (and related others yet arisen)? We shall discuss them here, so there’s a record of it here for future readers. I think it’s important that there’s a visible, public consensus about this.

1 Like

“Membership” is from the Snapshot vernacular, and is just an anti-spam measure.

• Posting proposals to Snapshot requires users to meet some arbitrary criteria.
  • Users that meet this criterion are referred to as ‘members’.
  • Prior to DAO migration to Snapshot, only users with a minimum 25k vBNT staked in governance could activate an on-chain vote.
  • Therefore, this criterion was inherited by our Snapshot implementation.

It’s not more complicated than this - it’s just a word that means you have the ability to activate a vote.

3 Likes

Indeed, it’s not complicated now, but the phrase has connotations beyond that; I think, to new arrivals, it certainly would appear so.

At some point, Bancor is probably going to require some kind of physical presence; obviously, ‘members’ will be privileged with access to it, but what responsibilities would that entail? How do we determine who is a member and which members have access to what and are charged with which responsibilities?

At some point, “DAO Member” (or some variation within the same spirit) must become an official title within this organization; we should know exactly what it means to hold that title.

What starts as an anti-spam measure can be abstracted and applied to any mechanic which requires a filtered set. :grin:

1 Like

vote.bancor.network. It passed btw

1 Like