Responding to Christopher Conforti (Re: DAO organization on Discourse, BBS, and related posts)

• Conviction voting, and voter decay. The former is a mechanism by which the voter expresses their preference, and the longer they keep that preference the more weight it holds; changing your preference takes the weight out and you start from 1x again. The latter is a mechanism by which the voter is encouraged to vote consistently, else the weight of their vote is reduced (until after they vote again); our interest in this concept was to use it in our quorum, such that “decayed” voters would count less towards quorum requirements.

This is likely to be a highly fruitful area for continued discussion, and will likely result in an actionable proposal. I am very interested to grow the discussion on voting weight mechanics, and their effect on quorum and supermajority. The ideas expressed here are pretty sound, and I fully expect some version of these proposed changes to become part of our DAO process in the near future.

In the interest of progressing these ideas closer to fruition, I think we need to start building a spec document and simulating it.

3 Likes