Responding to Christopher Conforti (Re: DAO organization on Discourse, BBS, and related posts)

I am absolutely floored. Thank you! It may not be in order, but I’ll try to respond succinctly–I’m aware I am sometimes long-winded, apologies! Although, if I’m being truthful, I’m a little concerned I’ve annoyed you. :sweat_smile:

You are correct. I have spent some time distancing myself from mainstream services, and especially The Cloud; having put so much effort into purging them from my life, I often forget that they even exist. My journey through computing has been i̴̞̜̰͉̩̒̏̎̓͘̚͜n̷̥̘͇̯̘͚̊̅̒̍t̸̟͙͕̀͘ẽ̴͇̕r̶̗͗̒ḛ̴͈̣͖̉̎̽s̶̫̦̣̓̐͒ţ̶͇͉͊́̽̌͌͝͠͝ḭ̸̠̆̄̍̕̚͠ņ̸̩̖̟̫̰̲̃͆ͅģ̵̡̨͉̹̆̃͋. I will explore this avenue of research and find a suitable solution. There are certain things that I simply cannot do, however.

As for why it reduced the quality, I kept it in my head; so in truth I suppose it’s quite unfair to say that Discourse caused the problem, rather it was my spaced out brain. :slightly_smiling_face: I apologize, and will happily remove the statement if deemed necessary.

Again, you are right, and it was my always intention to build this thing myself, or at least help in some way–I am not one to just sit idly by and suggest things, I want to get involved in a meaningful way and build something! (Assuming there’s interest; I don’t want to waste my time). But in order for me to do so in good conscience, I have to do so by the principles I have laid our for myself, which means I must do things a certain way; I imagine few people are willing to work with me because my way is strange, so I anything I wanted built or set up here, I had planned to do myself. I was mainly probing for interest, and to see if I’d get the blessing of the forum gods. :wink:

Indeed! One of my aims in governance is to preclude the possibility of ultimately meaningless votes by innovatively automating away all of the tedious crap that we have to do, and that could be (as mentioned elsewhere) used to play the system for extra income. A grant system is good, but ideally we’d want some way to automate judging and rewarding any volume of meaningful contributions, both to remove human prejudice and also to reduce overhead.

When I want to want to superscript/subscript things (I rarely use these, to be truthful, but I’m not aware of markdown supporting these–if I’m wrong, apologies!), or even do special formatting that typically isn’t distinguished like the difference between italics and emphatic text, or bold and strong. These things don’t typically look different, but in some cases they may be rendered differently from each other, and so even when I write my website code, I aim for code correctness and with future uses in mind. Those things are different, they represent different concepts, even if they appear the same on the surface. I should use HTML tags more often, given this–most of the time markdown serves well enough, and it seems I can blend the two without disruption, anyway. It’s one of those things that would be nice to have, is all.

Are we going to vote a project that proposes to do exactly that, then? Or are we treating it differently because they’re making the offer, not us? (I’m not trying to be in any way malicious, I’m genuinely curious; I’m fine with doing it that way if that’s how it is)

Of course! I will begin work immediately.

Not exactly what I had in mind, although I suppose it might work out that way. Essentially, (assuming we reward voters), we’re using an APY on two non-monetary values (calculated from voting weight)–one reflecting activity, the other, inactivity–and comparing the voter’s total balance accrued from both. Simultaneously, the difference between the two rates (which grow as proposals are placed and the voter takes action–or not) is used to calculated another APY that does have a monetary value, which is the rewards. The larger the difference (i.e., the more active the voter), the larger the reward APY, thereby rewarding active voters more. So goes the theory. I’ve yet to make a model, but as I said, I’ll begin work on one.

You are quite correct; one cannot expect everyone to act altruistically all the time. One solution is to automate away all the necessary-but-trivial stuff (like setting fees) until all that is ever left to vote on is the important stuff, and one could argue that we could adjust our governance cycle to fit the frequency of those issues–I maintain that we (and DeFi in general) should slow the hecc down, weekly votes are overkill. The governance system should, by design, eliminate bad actors, so by the time we reach the governance cycle the voting set is in good faith.

In an ideal world, we would hardly ever have to vote (because automation is the future), and cash flow would be plentiful enough that rewarding them for quite some time for taking the time to keep the protocol running smoothly wouldn’t really be an issue. We should aim for that, and we may get close, but of course things will never be ideal.

Of course. I’m suggesting that’s how we present ourselves to people who are outside of banks and funds. Part of the problem with CeFi is that it’s scary to people, because finance people–people like a lot of us–use a lot of big scary “standard” vernacular that is for the most part totally alien to anything the Average Joe encounters in daily life. I see a lot of DeFi repeating that mistake, and even doubling down on it–one of my friends is actually scared of DeFi (and crypto as well as finance in general) because of this.

In order to make DeFi less scary, we need to simplify its presentation, and that means abstracting, which means developing a vocabulary of metaphor and symbology that can be used to explain the system to anyone in a way that is intuitive. Simpler is better; this is the key to getting DeFi adopted beyond people who are already on the cutting edge of finance.

I’ve tried to use these feature, it doesn’t appear to work on our instance. Maybe it’s just me?

Google Docs is the overhead. Every additional piece of software that I have to use simultaneously to complete a task takes more computing resources, and therefore more energy, as well as potentially causing more mental overhead, and taking more time. I hate wastage, and I love efficiency, so doing things that way would make me itch.

It’s also important to remember that I don’t own anything that Google lets me use for free; this has vast implications for the concept of ownership. I like owning my data, and I think that the DAO should own its data too. And frankly it would be a waste of my time to understand whatever legalese (or otherwise) through which Google expresses that relationship, because it almost certainly means that I own nothing.

This isn’t even considering the issues I have with Google and their friends on principle.

I hope I touched on everything!

2 Likes