BIP3 Governance Changes: BIP documentation requirements, and new majority and quorum rules

i think we should also clarify the “technical” side of these elements:

i) requiring BIP documentation to meet a satisfactory standard of presentation and time for community engagement before commencing a vote

• the concept and idea is valid in my opinion and we should really require some “idea vesting” before a vote is introduced. that said, there is not technical way to enforce this. which means, as a community, we need to understand that if a vote starts before the discussion meets this proposed requirement time and structure, it will not be implemented even if the vote passes.

ii) increasing the majority rule from >50% to 66.7%

• again a valid point but this might be risky as more vBNT is added to the governance. this as well is not enforced in the contract level at this stage (there is no code to support this functionality) and will be enforced based on community understanding and agreement.

iii) increasing quorum requirements for whitelist BIPs from 20% to 40%.

• this part has a simple function in the contract that controls the quorum and can be updated (once vote passes). meaning, this can be enforced later on in the contract level directly.
2 Likes